Interlibrary loans are the way library materials are made available from one library system to another. If RHPL does not own an item that you need, our interlibrary loan staff will try to request a copy from another library system outside of Richmond Hill, such as Toronto Public Library.
What Can Be Requested Through Interlibrary Loan?
- Books and audiobooks (except those published or copyrighted within the past six months)
- Non-fiction DVDs (such as documentaries, educational films, and concert performances)
- Microfilms/microfiche, government documents
- Language kits
Please note that each library has its own set of lending policies and may not choose to lend certain items.
Before submitting a request for an interlibrary loan item, please search RHPL’s Catalogue first. We do not request items that are already in our catalogue. Other items that are unavailable through interlibrary loan include books published within the past six months, movie DVDs, TV series DVDs, music CDs, video games, e-books, and reference materials.
Searching for Interlibrary Loan Items
Sign into your interlibrary loan account to search for materials. If you don't have an interlibrary loan account, you can get one by contacting interlibrary loan staff at email@example.com or leave a voicemail at 905-884-9288 ext. 5055. Be sure to provide the following details in your email or voicemail: name, library card number, and contact information.
Not sure how to place requests? Contact interlibrary loan staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a voicemail at 905-884-9288 ext. 5055.
Can't find what you're looking for? If you’re having trouble finding what you need, fill out the online request form to submit an online request. Scroll to the bottom of this page to access the form.
Before submitting a request for an interlibrary loan item, please search RHPL’s catalogue first. We do not request items that are already in our catalogue, unless the item is a specific format, such as an audiobook, that RHPL does not own.
- Other items that are unavailable through interlibrary loan include books published within the past six months, movie DVDs, music CDs, video games, e-books, and reference materials.
- Interlibrary loan items typically take between one and six weeks to arrive, but this may vary depending on the availability of the requested item.
- You will receive a notification once your item has arrived at your chosen branch. You can then pick it up and check it out at the service desk.
- The loan period for interlibrary loan items is usually three weeks, but this may be altered by the lending library.
- Fines for overdue interlibrary loan items are $0.30 per day to a maximum of $5.00 per item.
- The customer is responsible for the full replacement cost of lost or damaged items, as assessed by the lending library.
- To request a renewal for your item, contact us at email@example.com or leave a voicemail at 905-884-9288 ext. 5055.
- Because renewals can take at least one business day to process, please notify library staff at least two days before your item’s due date.
- Please note that renewals are dependent on the needs of the lending library and are not guaranteed.
- RHPL reserves the right to limit the number of requests from a single customer.